TCU dismisses projected starter after locker room fight with teammate
NCAAF College Football News, Photos, Stats, Scores, Schedule & Videos...
A fight with a teammate is what led to the dismissal of senior safety transfer Jacob Fields from TCU, according to a report from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
The Horned Frogs announced Tuesday, Aug. 18, that Fields was dismissed after a violation of team rules, saying he "will not be a member of our football team moving forward" in a statement. Fields, a three-star transfer from Louisiana Tech, projected as a starter in the Horned Frogs' backfield after earning Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year in 2025.
Per the Star-Telegram, Fields' altercation, which occurred with a teammate on offense, was noted in the TCU crime and fire log, having occurred 1:30 p.m. local time Thursday, Aug. 13. It was not reported until 2:29 p.m. the following day, four days before TCU announced his dismissal from the team.
A source who spoke to the Star-Telegram described Fields as "remorseful," saying tensions between him and his new teammates began to rise earlier in the month. The source said Fields felt "targeted" by teammates, and that attempts to reach out to the coaching staff did not result in any de-escalation.
The source also said they didn't believe coach Sonny Dykes knew the full extent of the locker room issues. TCU did not respond to a request for comment by USA TODAY Sports at the time of this story being published.
TCU begins its season Saturday, Aug. 29, in the Aer Lingus College Football Classic vs. North Carolina in Dublin.
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: TCU dismisses projected starter after locker room fight with teammate
More at NCAAF College Football News, Photos, Stats, Scores, Schedule & Videos