New ruling could let NFL rookies return to college football in another eligibility head-scratcher

NCAAF College Football News, Photos, Stats, Scores, Schedule & Videos...

New ruling could let NFL rookies return to college football in another eligibility head-scratcher originally appeared on The Sporting News.
Add The Sporting News as a Preferred Source by clicking here.
The never-ending legal drama surrounding college football received another twist on Thursday.
A total of 16 players were reportedly granted a temporary restraining order against the NCAA by a Louisiana judge, providing them with a fifth year of eligibility for the 2026 college football season. But it wasn't only active college players who were involved.
A few players who have spent time in NFL training camps over the past few months could now attempt to return to college.
Here's what to know about the court ruling that will allow a few NFL rookies to redirect their paths and return to college.
MORE: Biggest overreactions from first week of NFL preseason
What new court ruling means for NFL rookies
On Thursday, ESPN's Pete Thamel reported that a judge in Louisiana granted 16 football players, "including several in NFL training camps this summer," a restraining order that allows them to return to college sports.
Among the players currently on NFL teams, some have "expressed an interest in being released from their NFL contracts," their attorney said, per ESPN. If their NFL teams do release them by Sept. 1, they would be allowed to join a college roster under the restraining order.
The lawsuit was filed against the NCAA in Louisiana state court Wednesday, also including athletes in other sports. It states that the NCAA is breaching its "covenant of good faith" by not giving players the same opportunity to play for five years in college that past players received and future players will also receive, with the NCAA's "five seasons in five years" being implemented for future classes in June. Previous eligibility rules allowed players to play for four seasons during a five-year window without specific age restrictions.
"Courts across the country granting relief to ineligible athletes who already had every opportunity to compete in college – sometimes without even having a hearing – are failing to appreciate the destabilizing effect their rulings are having on college sports," NCAA senior vice president of external affairs Tim Buckley said in a statement, per ESPN. "The lawyers bringing these cases seemingly won't be satisfied until every professional athlete can treat college sports as a fallback option, regardless of the opportunities it strips from those who will never have a chance to begin their collegiate sports experience."
In the wake of the NCAA's eligibility rules changes, there have been plenty more lawsuits. One of the more significant cases was issued on July 31 by Colorado-based federal Judge Charlotte Sweeney, per ESPN; she issues a restraining order that allows all athletes who started their career in the 2022-23 academic year to play for a fifth season. The NCAA has appealed Sweeney's ruling and other restraining orders.
The signed order in Louisiana would also allow the 16 college football players to enter the transfer portal, per On3.
“The NCAA is ordered to open the transfer portal … for one week from entry of this order,” the TRO states, per On3.
MORE: Grading college football's coaching hires for 2026
Which NFL rookies could return to college?
There aren't any superstar-level players who could wind up returning to college after a trip to NFL training camp, but there are some notable contributors to college football in recent years.
Players who are not currently on NFL rosters listed in the lawsuit include former South Carolina safety DQ Smith — who tried out for the Vikings earlier in the month — former James Madison linebacker Trent Hedrick and former Notre Dame defensive lineman Junior Tuihalamaka, per ESPN. Hendrick is the reigning Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year; he participated in rookie minicamps with the Chiefs and Browns but did not sign a contract. Former SMU running back TJ Harden is also among the players in the suit, per On3.
Here's a look at some of the players involved who are currently on NFL rosters or spent time on one this summer.
Dae'Quan Wright
There are three former Ole Miss starters who signed with NFL teams this summer but could wind up returning to college for a fifth year.
One is tight end Dae'Quan Wright, who is currently in training camp with the Browns after initially signing with the Eagles. He's arguably the most notable name in the lawsuit, having been named second-team All-SEC in 2025 and invited to the NFL Combine. Wright caught 39 passes for 635 yards at Ole Miss last season.
Zxavian Harris
Another former Rebel in the lawsuit is defensive tackle Zxavian Harris, who signed with the Saints as an undrafted free agent in May, but was waived in early August. According to On3, Harris is now "expected to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal."
Harris had 58 tackles, nine TFLs and three sacks over 15 starts in 2025, including a career-high 10 tackles in the CFP quarterfinals against Georgia.
Wydett Williams
Safety Wydett Williams was the third former Ole Miss starter listed in the suit. He is currently on the Cardinals' roster.
Williams played 61 defensive snaps against the Panthers along with 16 special teams snaps in the Hall of Fame game, according to the Cardinals. He signed a three-year contract with the team, guaranteed $110,000.
Anthony Hankerson
Former Oregon State running back Anthony Hankerson could wind up back in college despite being on the Seahawks' training camp roster. He initially signed with the Dolphins as an undrafted free agent but was waived earlier in August.
Hankerson had back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing seasons at Oregon State in 2024 and 2025, totaling 24 touchdowns over that span.
Jack Pyburn
Former LSU LB/EDGE Jack Pyburn was another notable name who is on an NFL roster right now but could return to school.
Pyburn signed with the Buccaneers in May after going undrafted, and he had two sacks in their most recent preseason game. He had 51 tackles and two sacks for LSU during the 2025 season, after previously spending time at Florida.
Former Gators and LSU OLB Jack Pyburn said he’s worked harder on the mental side of the game and when he wasn’t drafted, took responsibility for it. He got off social media. He had 2 sacks Friday vs Jets. pic.twitter.com/iQozWDRE40
— Rick Stroud (@NFLSTROUD) August 17, 2026
Third sack of the night 💪
📺: #TBvsNYJ on WFLA
📻: @98rocktampabay
📲: In-market on the Bucs app pic.twitter.com/8r8lGu0kvw— Tampa Bay Buccaneers (@Buccaneers) August 15, 2026
MORE: Ranking the 138 FBS coaches entering 2026
More at NCAAF College Football News, Photos, Stats, Scores, Schedule & Videos