Rhett Lashlee calls out state of college football amid lawsuits: ‘The court system is ruining our game’

NCAAF College Football News, Photos, Stats, Scores, Schedule & Videos...

With just over a week left until the college football season kicks off, eligibility lawsuits have become a central part of the discussion. A Louisiana judge paved the way for members of the Class of 2022 to enter the transfer portal as the NCAA faces legal scrutiny over its age-based eligibility model.
As a result, there’s a wave of player movement with eight days to go before Week 0. During an appearance on ESPN Radio on Thursday, SMU head coach Rhett Lashlee criticized the landscape and cited the latest wave of lawsuits as a reason Congress should pass the Protect College Sports Act.
$19.99 gets you a FULL year of On3 | Rivals national coverage
Lashlee called out the inconsistency that comes with the lawsuits, specifically with regard to transfer rules. A Colorado judge ordered in late July that athletes from the Class of 2022 were eligible, but the ruling did not enjoin portal rules. However, a judge in Louisiana said there could be a one-week window for players to transfer, including some who have gone through NFL training camp.
Add it all up, and Lashlee said Congress must pass the Protect College Sports Act to help bring stability. Congress broke for a recess earlier this month and is due back in mid-September, and the bill is due to come up after a deal with Senate leadership.
“I think this is more evidence why, when they come back from the break – regardless of what you think – Congress has to pass this bill,” Lashlee said on Amber & Ian. “We have a game right now that has no rules and no leadership. And the leadership that is there can’t be sustained.
“You can’t have a deal where it depends on which court case or which state you sue in and what judge you get determines the rules. … The court system is running our our game right now. And, there’s no consistency and continuity. So for some players, it might be a good thing. For others, it might not be a good thing.”
Rhett Lashlee: ‘I’m worried about the problem’
The round of eligibility lawsuits came after the NCAA approved a new age-based, five-year eligibility model. It will give athletes five years to play five years of eligibility starting with their 19th birthday or the date they enroll in college, whichever happens first. Recruits from the 2027 cycle will be age-based only, while the Class of 2022 did not receive an exemption for a fifth season.
SUBSCRIBE to the On3 NIL and Sports Business Newsletter
As a result, legal challenges mounted. But with training camp nearing its end and games coming up quickly, Rhett Lashlee said the wave of players entering the portal creates more questions. That’s why he put the blame on leadership in college sports.
“Regardless of [which] side of that you fall on, it’s not ever good when there’s no rules, no consistency and we don’t all know how to both for the players, what they’re what they’re allowed to do and what they can expect,” Lashlee said. “And for the the fans and for us that are … trying to to lead programs and run things in this business, there’s just so much uncertainty and instability. We’ve got to have it because you go from here’s the rules to then two weeks ago, well, guys could maybe get a fifth year from ’22, but only back to their school and can’t transfer to now, oh wait, you can come off an NFL roster and come back and go wherever you want two weeks before the season starts.
“I think anybody rational would tell you, that’s not a sustainable model. So that’s really what I care about, more than just one little instance. I’m not worried about the symptoms. I’m worried about the problem.”
More at NCAAF College Football News, Photos, Stats, Scores, Schedule & Videos